These are lyrics from my birthday song of choice. When we were little we each had a record with our personalized birthday song from Captain Zoom, and we had to stay in bed until my mom played it on the record player. I loved that tradition SO much! I would have been excited for this today, but I would still be laying in bed if that were the case. Not because my mom doesn’t love me (because she does) but because 1) I do not live in her house anymore, so that would be tricky and 2) I am birthday-ing in Florida this year. Birthday-ing in Florida this year might be my best decision so for in 2011. I will be telling you why in just a moment, but first, please tune in to
- I got to celebrate 2x before going to bed – I started my Florida birthday at midnight by getting off the plane. I celebrated my MN birthday at 1am by having a popsicle while my friends sang to me.
- It is warm. Some might even say hot. After suffering through -20 degree weather, 80′s are a blessing (and a relief).
- You can go to delicious places for breakfast, such as Skillets, a place that describes their food: Our thick cut smokehouse bacon. Our incredible, enormous sourdough waffle. Freshly squeezed orange juice served in frosty beer mugs. Ethereal egg white omelettes that literally float off the plate. Nutritious, yet fluffy whole wheat pancakes. Homemade bread, baked daily in our hearth ovens. Tender crepes, Chicago style blintzes, Panini’s griddled with rosemary herb bread. Mountains of fresh fruit. Truly old fashioned, thick, slow cooked oatmeal porridge. Freshly roasted and brewed Guatemalan coffee direct from the plantation. Their motto is, “Breakfast and lunch with flair” – this will probably be my new motto.
- You can go grocery shopping for your birthday! (not actually a highlight. but not really a lowlight either. So I guess just a light).
- The Beach! You can read your nook that your parents got you for your birthday in your new handy dandy waterproof case.
- I met my goal of at least 15 freckles before heading home. And it is only day 1!
- You might feel sad in your heart that Florida did not fulfill its promise to build a Caribou in time for you to get your free drink. Then your friends will get you a “free” Starbucks instead! Delicious!
- The Beach. Oh, I guess I already mentioned that.
- Here is something new: driving in the convertible with the top down. Last year we did this once. Because it was a dream of mine. But we had to wear sweatshirts. Today it felt like bliss.
- No sunburn! (aren’t you proud of my and my SPF 30, mom?)
- Learning to grill! And having our delicious dinner of salmon, baked potatoes, green beans and texas toast turn out AND taste amazing.
- Birthday cake! Thanks friends!
Tomorrow we shall meet the Twins and become best friends with them. My friend prayed for me to get a birthday hug from a Twin. Best prayer ever. (Well, maybe not actually – but it is a pretty awesome one) We will also be on the look out for more dogs in strollers at the outlet mall. Wish us luck on all accounts.
p.s. this seagull tried to eat my face. no joke. the park/beach/employee/guy laughed at me. i am traumatized.
Thanks friends for making my birthday so great! Yes, I’m not sure how a birthday could get much better!